POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Medieval Mace : Re: Medieval Mace Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Medieval Mace
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 26 Feb 2007 10:04:32
Message: <45e2f700$1@news.povray.org>
I'll put my "medieval weaponry nut" cap on, and risk a few comments :-)

I think you got the materials and assembly quite right. However, the
proportion are a bit off...

A flail (because a mace does not have the chain part) would have a
shorter chain in general, about half the length of the shaft. This was
done so in order to avoid that the head hit right on your hand after a
missed strike. A more thorough discussion can be found here:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8785
and here if you are interested in the method of use:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8705

Also, the typical flail would have maybe less spikes and a smaller ball.
  Fewer spikes would be better at penetrating armour plates, because
only one spike would hit. And you have to keep the weight manageable. A
ball this big, made all in steel would be too much heavy I believe.
Could even break at the handle just from static weight ;-)

A flail with more typical proportions (as well as an interesting chain
if you are into modelling) can be seen here:
http://www.armor.com/view.html?pole144a.jpg

Keep up the good work!

--
Vincent